May 2, 2012

Musical uplift


Yesterday was just one of those days. The whole day I was trudging around with an emotional slump. I couldn't understand where the low mood originated from. I was just inexplicably down. I tried to dig deep and figure out what important negative event spurred this emotion. I wanted to pinpoint it, tackle it and move on. But all I kept coming up with were a bunch of minute and unimportant occurrences that seemed to have fused together and tricked me into thinking of them as one big and important issue. As I was shuffling my feet home after too long of a work day, this song came on my phone shuffle. Ah, music. What a gift! What a difference it suddenly makes. The lyrics weren't particularly fitting, but the tune was just right to kick my butt out of my funk. I regained the skip in my step and the goofy smile I sport when good music is spilling into my ears.

Then when I walked into my building lobby, I saw one of my neighbors eying the "free" pile someone had put out. This neighbor of mine is probably the world's oldest man with the largest humpback I have ever seen. He walks always tilted slightly to the left and his mouth is fixed in a permanent smirk. As I was passing him, he turned around to me and said, "It's like Christmas!" He then laughed and waddled off.

So, Merry Christmas in May friends!

And before I wrap up...in case you wanted a song that is both lyrically and rhythmically appropriate in lifting a sour mood, go here.


No comments:

Post a Comment