March 4, 2012

The big move

 
I’ve been chatting away here about my travels as though everything else in my life has been dull and unimportant. That could not be further from the truth. Shortly before my trip to Cartagena, I accepted a new job in New York City and quit my current one in New Orleans. It was a change that I have long since been working toward, but as soon as it came to fruition I began to doubt whether this was something that I actually wanted. Did I work toward it just to reach a goal? Or did I sincerely feel that this was a necessary move for my professional life? What about my personal life? After almost three years in New Orleans, I finally felt like I had carved out my niche. Was I ready to give all that up, move again and start over?

Fortunately I didn’t struggle with this dilemma too long. After careful deliberation I was certain that this was most definitely an imperative move when it came to my career. Professionally the new job was exactly what I needed. It promised to promote my design capacities within an area of structural engineering that I have not yet explored. There was no doubt that the professional move was most definitely a correct one. But I would be lying if I said that I was positive that New York was the exact right place I wanted to live in next.

New Orleans prides itself on its laissez-faire attitude. Deadlines are an unheard of concept and talking to strangers is encouraged. I don’t think any of you need any explaining as to how different this is from New York living. New York is loud and New York is fast. I dreaded that I would never be able to keep up.

And so now here I am, fitting in better than I expected. I’m walking faster and talking faster. I am so eager and nervous for what’s to come. And most of all, I am excited up to my ears for this new chapter.

Here we go.


P.S.
My beloved camera was a casualty of my last night in the Big Easy and so it'll be phone camera photos on here for a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment